- Chld Abuse in America
• Each year in the US, children’s services agencies receive reports of abuse and neglect in regards to over 3 million children. After the investigation, about 700,000 of those children are considered to be abused or neglected. This is about 23% of the cases.
• Out of those 700,000 victims of abuse and neglect, about 1,600 die each year as a result of the maltreatment. 77% of the fatal victims were under 4 years old. 80% of the perpetrators were the parents. 1,030 children have died in vehicles
• Since 1990 children have died from the following causes:
- 717 children due to heat stroke
- 233 children due to the child setting the vehicle in motion
- 80 children due to the power windows (strangulation)
Note- A child’s body temperature can rise 3 – 4x faster than an adult’s. A body temperature over 104 F could be fatal to a child. With an outside temperature 72 F, the temperature can rise 30 - 40 degrees in an hour; 21 – 28 degrees occurs in the first 30 minutes!
• Adult studies show that 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men were sexually abused before the age of 18 (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2006).
• Force, threats of force, and coercion are tools that perpetrators use to commit sexual abuse.
• Most victims know their perpetrators
• More than 5 children die a day in the USA from abuse
In the last 5 years the number of children in foster care/being raised by grandparents has tripled due to their parent’s heroin/drug addiction.